The holidays — that time of year when we enjoy a bone-in ham — are always followed up in my home by my super-easy, fantastically tasty split pea soup.
DISCLOSURE: THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS, WHICH MEANS I COULD RECEIVE A COMMISSION IF YOU CLICK THROUGH A LINK AND THEN MAKE A PURCHASE.
THESE COMMISSIONS ARE AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU.
PLEASE NOTE: AS AN AMAZON ASSOCIATE I EARN FROM QUALIFYING PURCHASES.
Only a few years ago did I even think of and consider hanging on to the ham bone to make split pea soup. It wasn’t on my repertoire of meals until fairly recently. But now I can’t imagine letting that ham bone go to waste! Nothing beats a bowl of warm, hearty split pea soup, especially in winter (but I love making it in the spring as well).
I do mine in a slow cooker, which makes it all the easier to make. It’s really a simple matter of chopping, assembling, and combining. Eight years later, you’ll have a wonderful meal for your family. Combine it with some croutons or crusty bread, and you’re all set!
The ingredients — essentially soup veggies, broth, and split peas, plus the left over ham and bone — certainly don’t break the bank either.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe! Let me know online my Get It Down Pat Facebook page if you made it and if so, how it came out and if you like it!
Get It Down Pat’s Best and Easiest Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup
- 1 Slow Cooker See my affiliate link in the article and below in the notes at the bottom of the recipe to check out the slow cooker I use and love!
- 1 Meaty ham bone
- 16 oz Split peas Rinse well and drain; be careful to remove any stones/debris
- 1-2 Large carrots Peeled and finely chopped (about 1 to 2 cups)
- 4 Celery stalks Peeled and finely chopped (about 1 to 2 cups)
- 1 Medium to large onion Finely chopped (sweet yellow preferred)
- 1 to 2 cups Ham Chopped into small cubes and pieces
- 4 tsp Garlic Minced
- 2 Bay leaves Be sure to REMOVE after soup is done and before serving!
- 1 tbsp Thyme Ground
- 1 tsp Salt To taste
- 1 tsp Black pepper To taste
- 32 oz Chicken broth
- 2 tsp (or 2 cubes) Chicken-flavor bullion OPTIONAL
- Add ham bone, split peas, and chopped carrots, celery, and onion to slow cooker.
- Add chopped ham.
- Add garlic and bay leaves.
- Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Pour in chicken broth.OPTIONAL: If you'd like (and you aren't negatively affected by MSG), you can add a couple of chicken-flavored bullion cubes (or 2 tsp of loose powdered chicken-flavored bullion).
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours. Stir occasionally while cooking. The peas will cook down and the soup will thicken up as time goes by.
- Toward the end of the cooking time, remove any bones and the bay leaves.